276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Casio fx-85GTX Scientific Calculator, Black

£24.465£48.93Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I’m still using my beloved 1980s Casio fx-451 scientific calculator (which has absolutely minimal key presses even compared with the Casio Classwiz fx-83/85GT models: even the S-D button is an ‘extra-step annoyance’ for me). The CASIO FX-85 GT CW comes with additional features, including a high definition display and improved menu navigation. The fx-85GTX takes the UK's Number One Scientific Calculator a step further, by offering Solar Power to ensure no loss of battery during those crucial exams. This does encourage correct formatting – the brackets are implicitly represented by the use of a smaller × sign on the older models – but it’s confusing for many.

For the purposes of this specification, a ‘calculator’ is any electronic or mechanical device which may be used for the performance of mathematical computations. The scoring that appears on this site is determined by the site operator in its sole discretion, and should NOT be relied upon for accuracy purposes. Also, Casio have discontinued the grey model, which may explain the appearance of the “limited edition” white one! If you’ve found this article helpful then please share it with anyone else who you think would benefit (use the social sharing buttons if you like). Remember I mentioned that a graphical calculator is much more complex to operate than a scientific one?However, different calculators have different capabilities so here’s a guide to the ones you’re most likely to come across.

The standard GCSE model in the UK for the past seven or eight years has been the Casio Classwiz fx-83/85GT X (centre in the image), though in early 2023 Casio brought out the fx-83/85GT CW, which is very different and which has replaced the GT X (despite a poor reception from UK Maths teachers). The new CW calculators are far less intuitive to use, often replacing an operation that used to require only 1-2 key presses with one that requires 2-3 or even more.I’ve heard other Maths teachers comment that the screen contrast on the new CW calculators is better than on the X models.

The GCSE model was initially available in a choice of black, grey, blue or pink (and more recently I’ve also seen a white “special edition” advertised).The A-level models have additional functions such as solving quadratics and simultaneous equations which can be useful at GCSE too, as well as Statistics functions that you don’t need until A-level. We are told that the intention was to make them more like a phone to use (though I find it hard to see much resemblance myself) and that younger children who aren’t already accustomed to a particular scientific calculator layout have adapted well to its use. Gain a better understanding of mathematical expressions on the display screen, for example; roots and fractions as they appear in your textbooks, this will increase your comprehension because the results are easier to understand and in plain sight. This model has the benefit of a large display and, more importantly for me as I get older, a much better lit display that makes it easier on my eyes. Casio doesn’t appear to have done much field testing of the new models before launching them on the world!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment